Nashville SUP (Stand-Up Paddleboarding) and Yoga takes clients on the lake in Hendersonville for a unique yoga and lake experience.
Jen Todd / The Tennessean
Hendersonville is home to a yoga studio with a view — the lake.
“It just adds such a fun, playful aspect to yoga,” instructor Megan Wage said. “Doing yoga in a studio can be a little intimidating and serious, and out here, it’s not.”
A Florida transplant, Wage has spent her whole life on the water in some fashion. When she’s not teaching yoga on the land, she enjoys sharing her love of water and yoga with others — even those new to both activities.
What it is SUP?
Wage owns Nashville SUP (Stand-Up Paddleboarding) and Yoga. She teaches yoga classes on paddleboards and how to stand-up paddleboard, plus rents boards out to people who want to paddle on their own.
On Saturdays, her students can be found arms stretched to the sky, making a triangle in the downward dog position or gazing forward in a warrior pose — and keeping their balance in check.
“If you fall, you fall; it’s not that big of a deal,” Wage said. “It’s water — you get back on. That’s half the workout.”
Student Kaitlyn Stokes has driven down from Bowling Green, Kentucky to take classes with Wage. Although she has been paddleboarding for two years, she never took a class before signing up with Nashville SUP & Yoga.
“We have lakes and rivers,” she said. “There’s a lot of kayaking but not paddleboarding.”
Stokes hopes to take the activity back to her hometown and teach her own class.
Need to know for SUP Yoga
- Anyone — from those who have never been on a board to regulars of yoga — can take the class.
- Wage has an Intro to Paddleboarding class.
- Before each class, she goes over how to use the board and paddle and warns students to stay clear of the boats.
- While life jackets must stay on the board, students are not required to wear them unless they feel safer doing so.
- Boards are large to provide plenty of space, but have a weight limit of 250 pounds.
- The classes are a popular retreat for team-bonding.